Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Similar to tuna noodle casserole, but made with chicken.
Make and share this Chicken, Mushroom, and Noodle Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock (or low sodium chicken broth)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked according to package directions, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°; in a saucepan over med-high heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the onions, mushrooms, and celery; saute until tender, about minutes.
- Add in the flour and stir until bubbly; add in the stock, milk, thyme, salt, and pepper; stir until thickened, about 2 minutes; taste and adjust with salt and pepper.
- Put the noodles and chicken in a lightly sprayed or oiled 2 quart casserole; add the mushroom sauce and mix well.
- Top with cheese; bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
I changed this recipe quite a bit. I'm very glad that I did, too! What I basically did was I marinated the chicken in dried thyme, lemon juice, and lemon zest overnight instead of adding just the thyme during the recipes creation. I cooked up the chicken as directed and then followed the rest of the recipe's processs. BTW, I used the "No Yolk" broad egg white noodles (about 6 ounces cooked), and doubled the mushrooms. For my fellow Weight Watchers folks, it came out to 7 pts for 6 servings by using those noodles and Lactaid 100% NonFat Milk and Kraft's Natural Shredded Cheese. Their version gets a 3 while I give mine a 4 or 4.5 because I feel that it needed more mushrooms.