Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is an amazing chicken dish is one of my own creations and my family's long time favorites, and I make it very often, we think it is better than any fancy restaurant. Use only dry breadcrumbs for this. Of course you can use you favorite pasta sauce for this, but I like to use this easy plain tomato sauce for this recipe, and I prepare the sauce in the morning or a day ahead, I even throw in a couple of meatballs (I use my own meatball Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs) into the simmering sauce just for extra flavor, and then remove from the sauce to eat another time. You will love this recipe, I promise!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt (I use lots of salt)
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (680 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 -2 cup canned mushroom slices, well drained
- 3 cups dry breadcrumbs (use dry only)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 cups flour (more if needed)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6 -7 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce: heat oil in a saucepan and saute the onion and garlic with oregano, basil and crushed red pepper flakes for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and 2-3 teaspoons sugar.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes, season with salt; set aside (if you are adding in uncooked meatballs, then cook the sauce longer and until the meatballs are thoroughly cooked).
- Grease a large baking dish (you can use a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, but you might have to over-stack the breasts slightly if you are using 7 breasts, I use my large White Corning Ware dish for this).
- In a bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, garlic powder, seasoning salt and Parmesan cheese, then transfer half of the crumbs to a plate or a shallow dish.
- Place flour in another bowl and eggs in another bowl (you will have three seperate bowls).
- Coat the chicken with flour then dip in eggs, then breadcrumb mixture (patting down the crumbs to adhere).
- Heat about 1/4 cup or more oil in a large skillet.
- Add in the chicken and saute until golden brown (about 5-6 minutes on each side).
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the browned chicken in prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle each breast with sliced mushrooms (don't worry is some fall on the side).
- Drizzle or spoon about 1/2 cup sauce (can use more) over each breast, don't cover the breast completely with sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes, or until the breasts are cooked and cheese is bubbly.