Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious ! I found this recipe on a package of mushrooms and decided it would be a great way to use up leftover chicken. It's the first time I have ever grilled sandwiches in mayonnaise instead of butter.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) packagesliced white mushrooms
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 slices firm-textured sandwich bread
- 5 ounces sliced roasted chicken
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add mushrooms and cook over medium high heat until juices are released then evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese on 2 bread slices, top each slice with 1/2 the mushroom and chicken.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and top each with a bread slice.
- Spread the top of each sandwich with 1/2 tbs of mayo, pressing gently.
- Wipe skillet with paper towels and place over medium high heat, add sandwiches mayo side down.
- Spread remaining mayo on top of the sandwiches.
- Cook 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Nice change of pace from the regular grilled cheese. I used a European whole wheat bread as my choice, but I think next time I'll go with a white bread. The strong flavor of the wheat kind of overpowered the sandwich a bit. Very tasty nevertheless. :)
Used last night's leftover grilled chicken, grilled in Foreman grill, and had a terrific lunch with a sour cream cucumber salad and watermelon for dessert. This is a welcome change from same old grilled cheese sandwiches. The Gruyere adds a bite, and the sauted mushrooms gave the sandwich a rich flavor. I am always on the lookout for good sandwich recipes so thanks, Lorac!