Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A fabulous slow cooker meal that’s easy enough for a casual weeknight meal and tasty enough for a weekend gathering.
- cooking spray
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup leek, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked medium-grain brown rice (such as brown Arborio)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; warm over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and brown, turning once, about 6 minutes; set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; nestle the chicken thighs in the mixture. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours. Yields 1 chicken thigh and about 2/3 cup rice-vegetable mixture per serving.
I really enjoyed this recipe! I did a few things differently based on my family's needs, but I loved this as a base, healthy recipe! I added half of a medium-sized chopped onion, didn't have any leeks to used, so omitted those (but would love to use them in the future!), and after I browned the chicken breasts in the pan (with garlic powder, salt, and pepper), I chopped it into bite-sized pieces. I also used jarred mushrooms as I didn't have any fresh on hand. Yummy!