Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
In ‘ Williams-Sonoma: One Pot of the Day’
Make and share this Chicken, Mushroom and Barley Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 green onions, white and tender green parts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the barley, decrease heat to low, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Drain in a coarse-mesh sieve.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with the rosemary, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper.
- In a large, heavy ovenproof pot, warm the oil over med-high heat.
- Add the chicken thighs, skin side down, and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes total.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Pour off all but 1 T fat from the pan and add the celery, yellow onion, garlic, and pine nuts.
- Saute until vegetables are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the barley, mushrooms, and broth.
- Adjust the seasoning, and return the chicken to the pot.
- Bake, uncovered, until the mushrooms are tender and the chicken meat slips easily from the bones, 15-20 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes, sprinkle with the green onions.
- Serve directly from the pot.