1/1 Photo of Chicken Mulligatawny Soup from "the Frugal Gourmet"
1 hr 20 mins
The best chicken soup I've ever eaten. This came from "The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors" by way of a friend of mine. It's easy to make, although you need to make sure you have all of the spices, and at least for me, they aren't the most common of spices. Having said that, you won't have any problem finding them in the local Safeway.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs chicken thighs
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ghee (see Ghee recipe) or 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 yellow onion, medium, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger, ground
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1In a 4-quart pot, simmer the chicken, covered, in 4 cups of water until tender, about 30 minutes.
- 2Remove, cool, debone, and chop the meat and skin coarsely.
- 3Save the stock in the pot.
- 4Set the meat aside.
- 5Heat a large frying pan and add the ghee, garlic, onion, celery, and carrot.
- 6Saute just until the onion is tender.
- 7Add this to the pot of reserved stock.
- 8Add 4 more cups of water to the pot along with all remaining ingredients except the garnishes and chicken.
- 9Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 10Add the deboned chicken.
- 11Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 12Garnish with the fresh coriander and black pepper.
- 13I like lots of black pepper in this dish!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Mulligatawny Soup from "the Frugal Gourmet"
Serving Size: 1 (718 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.8
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 122.1 mg
- Sodium 1326.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 25.5 g