1/2 Photos of Chicken Muamba
Chicken in a peanut/tomato sauce. Generally served with rice. This version is from the DR Congo. Don't let the peanuts with tomatoes throw you off it really is very tasty. (I learned to tell guests after they compliment it what's in it.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1587.57 g whole chickens, cut up (I will skip the killing and cleaning part that we go through)
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 1 large fresh tomato (you can peel and seed if you wish, we eat everything here)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 118.29 ml chunky peanut butter
- 29.58 ml palm oil (available in Oriental markets, feel free to substitute with a healthier oil)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 1 hot pepper (we use pili pili, a very hot pepper native to here, most like scotch bonnet in flavor but makes habe)
- 1Simmer chicken covered in water with bouquette garnis until it's falling off the bone. Never boil meat, that makes it rubbery. Pull meat off the bone and reserve stock.
- 2Saute onion, hot pepper and garlic in oil until translucent. Add tomato.
- 3Stir in tomato paste and about 1/2 C stock.
- 4Add peanut butter.
- 5You should end up with a sauce that is similar in texture to spaghetti sauce. Add more stock if needed.
- 6Return chicken to the pan and simmer for a few minutes to infuse the flavors.
- 7Serve over rice.
- 8That's the traditional method.
- 9Now the "My in laws have shown up at the door to see little Joey, all I have is a couple of chicken breasts in the fridge and Joey is at that age where he asks adults things like "Mommy says that you are a busy body, how can I be one too?" version.
- 10To your favorite spaghetti sauce add the peanut butter and chunks of chicken breasts and crushed red pepper to taste. While that simmers, put water on to boil for minute rice and get back out and keep an eye on Joey.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Muamba
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 861.6
- Calories from Fat 575
- Total Fat 63.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 1254.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 54.4 g