Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This tastes like summer to me, and living in the often gray Pacific Northwest, I make it frequently to brighten things up. We usually serve this with lots of crusty bread, but the sauce would be terrific on pasta as well. Compliments of the Silver Palate Cookbook.
- 5 tablespoons best quality olive oil (I usually use half the oil called for with fine results)
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) whole chickens, quartered (I often use 4 half breasts)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped, about 1 cup
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into julienne
- 1⁄2 large zucchini, sliced diagonally
- 1⁄2 large yellow squash, sliced diagonally
- 1⁄3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped (garnish)
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Pat chicken pieces dry, season with salt and pepper, and cook gently for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, season again, and cook for another 5 minutes. Do not attempt to brown chicken as it will continue to cook in the sauce and you don't want it to overcook (chicken should be dark golden in color) Remove chicken from skillet and reserve.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic to the oil remaining in the skillet and cook, covered, over medium low heat until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. (I usually only spend 10-15 on this step).
- Uncover skillet and add the stock, orange juice, tomatoes and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper and simmer the mixture, uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Return chicken pieces to the pan and simmer further, 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is nearly done and the sauce reduced. Baste the pieces with the sauce and turn them once at the 15 minute mark.
- Heat remaining 2 T of olive oil in another skillet and saute the peppers for 5 minutes. Add the sliced squash and season with salt and pepper. Raise the heat and toss the vegetables in the oil until they are tender but firm.
- Transfer vegetables to the skillet with the chicken and simmer together for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and orange zest and serve.
This is an excellent dish. I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of the yellow summer squash, for which I substituted yellow pepper as the squash was unavailable. This dish is bright, colourful and tastes wonderful. I served it over steamed rice and with crusty bread to sop up the sauce. I'll make this again and again.