Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted by request.Adapted from Taste of Home magazine.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 ounce monterey jack cheese or 1 ounce cheddar cheese (cut into a 2 1/2x2 1/2" stick)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Pound chicken to a 1/4" thickness between two sheets of wax paper, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Season one side with salt& pepper to taste, and sprinkle with parsley and tarragon.
- Place cheese stick in the center and fold the chicken around (you may need some toothpicks to keep it rolled up).
- Coat chicken with flour, then dip into the beaten egg.
- Next, dip egg soaked chicken into the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Place seam side down on a plate and chill 30 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat oil and butter until melted and saute chicken until golden brown on all sides.
- Place in small baking dish and bake, uncovered, in a preheated 375 F oven for 15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and the juices run clear.
- Remove toothpicks before serving.
Cheese lover, thats what I am and I enjoyed this. Made two minor changes, can not buy Monterey cheese in the Netherlands, I used a Gouda with sambal (chili), that gave it a nice kick, the cheese melted beautifully. I used a small egg and that was enough. I will certainly make this again for the two of us, it won't be any problem to double this recipe.