1/1 Photo of Chicken Monterey
dolores in paradise's Note:
This recipe is very different from others I have seen. I do not find a keeper too often. Very elegant to look at, very good to taste, but is rich. I have made a couple of minor changes. This great recipe has been in my back stash. since 10-03. It was sumitted to allrecipes, by Doreen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup onion (minced)
- 8 large mushrooms (sliced med thin)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- 2Melt 1/4 cup butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in 2 tablespoons flour; sauté a few minutes more. Stir in stock, celery salt, white pepper and white wine.
- 4Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened and well blended, about 10 minutes.
- 5Mix 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese into the thickened sauce mixture and stir until melted; set aside.
- 6In a shallow bowl mix flour, salt & pepper.
- 7Dredge chicken in flour mixture to coat.
- 8(Make sure chicken is dry--I put between paper towels).
- 9Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet (cast iron is good). Have butter very hot--you just want to slightly brown (DO NOT OVER COOK).
- 10Arrange chicken in baking dish and cover with sauce.
- 11Top chicken and sauce with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 12Bake in preheated oven 25 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 13I put the pepper flakes in the broth.
- 14Hope you enjoy as much as we did.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Monterey
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.1
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 125.3 mg
- Sodium 521.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 33.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: