1/1 Photo of Chicken Mole for Crock Pot
5 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Okay there are a number of recipes for mole on this site already. Can it stand another? I hope so. This is an adaption of a recipe that I found in my newest cookbook, The Gourmet Slow Cooker. Making the sauce does take some time but it can be made ahead then warmed before adding to the crock pot with the chicken. Don't let the ingredients list scare you. Break this down into steps and it is well worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml blanched almond
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces (2 to 3 inch)
- 2.46 ml coriander seed
- 2.46 ml anise seed
- 59.14 ml sesame seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 dried pasilla peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 6 dried New Mexico chiles or 6 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1-2 guajillo chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 709.77-946.36 ml chicken stock
- 2 medium roma tomatoes
- 85.04 g mexican chocolate or 78.07 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet white onion, coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml raisins
- 2 chicken, cut into serving pieces skinned (Use only the thighs, breasts and legs)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Combine the almonds, cinnamon stick, coriander, aniseed, sesame seed and cloves on a baking sheet.
- 3Toast in the oven for 10 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned; remove and set aside.
- 4Place chiles on another baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees for 10 minutes; check and stir as needed to prevent burning.
- 5Remove the chiles from the oven and allow to cool.
- 6When cool, break chiles lightly, and place in in a large glass bowl.
- 7Pour 2 cups of hot chicken stock over the chiles and allow to sit for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- 8Preheat broiler and place the 2 tomatoes on a cookie sheet and broil for 5 to 7 minutes or until skin cracks and blisters lightly, turning about every 2 minutes.
- 9Remove tomatoes from oven and set aside to cool before removing the skin and chopping.
- 10Pour the chiles and stock into a blender and puree in batches until smooth.
- 11Add the toasted almonds and spices, peeled and chopped tomato, chocolate, garlic, onion, raisins and salt to taste.
- 12Blend until smooth, adding remaining stock as needed to make sauce proper consistency.
- 13The sauce should be just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- 14Strain the sauce through a medium-meshed sieve to remove seeds and pieces of chile.
- 15Arrange the chicken pieces in the crock pot and pour sauce over.
- 16Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or 6 to 8 hours.
- 17At 3 to 4 hours the chicken will be firm and retain its shape.
- 18At 6 to 8 hours, the meat will be falling off the bone.
- 19Transfer to dinner plates and serve immediately with rice, salad and crusty bread.
- 20Please Note: The back, neck and chicken wings can be used to make chicken stock.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Mole for Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.0
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 175.2 mg
- Sodium 297.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 48.2 g