Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Received this recipe from my old pal Sandy. I believe she got it from a book, but had several of her own modifications, so I credit her.
- 5 lbs chicken, cut up into serving sizes
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined, and roughly chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) canplum tomatoes with juice
- 1 (4 ounce) canwhole mild green chilies
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, grated
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Rub chicken pieces with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat, and saute chicken until golden brown, about 10 minutes on each side. Transfer to a large pot or dutch oven.
- Discard all but 2 tbsp of the chicken drippings. Add onion and saute about 5 minutes until golden brown. Add vinegar to the pan, then transfer the mixture to the pot with the chicken.
- Place tomatoes, jalapeno, and chiles in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour over the chicken.
- Heat chicken and sauce to boiling, then add the peanut butter and grated chocolate.
- Cook, covered, about 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Serve plain or over rice, with parsley as an optional garnish.