1 hr 30 mins
Zest of Two Lemons's Note:
Received this recipe from my old pal Sandy. I believe she got it from a book, but had several of her own modifications, so I credit her.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs chicken, cut up into serving sizes
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined, and roughly chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole mild green chilies
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, grated
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1Rub chicken pieces with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat, and saute chicken until golden brown, about 10 minutes on each side. Transfer to a large pot or dutch oven.
- 3Discard all but 2 tbsp of the chicken drippings. Add onion and saute about 5 minutes until golden brown. Add vinegar to the pan, then transfer the mixture to the pot with the chicken.
- 4Place tomatoes, jalapeno, and chiles in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour over the chicken.
- 5Heat chicken and sauce to boiling, then add the peanut butter and grated chocolate.
- 6Cook, covered, about 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- 7Serve plain or over rice, with parsley as an optional garnish.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Mole
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.9
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 44.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 182.6 mg
- Sodium 552.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 45.0 g