Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is NOT your traditional mole but still has a very authentic "mexican" flavor. I do not like the chocolate in traditional mole recipes and this one adds a bit of peanut butter which makes it more of a "Pollo con Guisada" or Mexican chicken with gravy which I tend to say is a chicken version of "Carne Guisada" or mexican beef/w gravy. I was taught how to make this by a very dear friend about 20 years ago. We have since parted ways and she is no longer in my life but NEVER far from my thoughts and ALWAYS in my heart.
- Boil chicken in large stock pot and reserve liquid.
- In dutch oven, add oil, peanut butter, and flour and heat to light carmel color.
- Add enough of the reserved liquid (from boiling the chicken) to create a smooth gravy. (start with about 2 cups and add more as needed until it reaches a smooth gravy texture).
- Add salt, garlic, cumin, bouillon, and chili powder to gravy and stir until combined.
- Add chicken thigh meat and serve over Spanish rice.