Recipe by Witch Doctor
The word mole comes from an Indian word meaning "concoction" and applies to a variety of blended Mexican sauces that are particularly tasty with chicken and turkey. One of the most famous variations includes a small amount of dark chocolate.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Taste-wise, this is a really wonderful recipe which I'd rate five stars. Unfortunately there is no amount for the tomatillos, and the author of the recipe didn't respond to my request how much tomatillo was supposed to be used. As I've never used tomatillos before, I was careful and only used two. It did taste excellent but I'm not sure if I met the flavour that was intended. Anyway I'll make it again - thanks for posting!
Made for Bargain Basement.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs meaty skinless chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup toasted almond
- 1⁄4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (or 2 canned whole green chili peppers, seeded and chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, cut up
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken; pat dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes, or till onion is tender but not brown. Remove from skillet and cool slightly.
- In a blender container or food processor bowl combine onion mixture, tomatillos, tomato sauce, almonds, tortilla chips, water, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, sesame seeds, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Blend or process till smooth.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add chicken and cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Add tomato mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or till chicken is tender and no pink remains.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim off fat from tomato mixture. Add chocolate and cook and stir over low heat till chocolate is melted.
- Pour over chicken.
- Serve with rice.