Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My son-in-law has renamed this soup "Chewy Chicken Soup." The flavor is great and the torn chicken meat gives the soup a different texture. (A chewy texture) An excellent soup to serve with warm breadsticks. For a soup lower in fat, substitute 5 cups chicken boullion for the water used to cook chicken.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 8 cups water
- celery & leaves
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup acini di pepe pasta
- 3 cups celery, Chopped
- 3 cups carrots, Chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (11 1/2 ounce) cans V8 vegetable juice
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, Shredded
- In dutch oven, combine chicken, water and baby celery w/leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 4-5 hours. (This first step can be done in the crock pot, and you don't need quite as much water.) Remove chicken and celery from water. Discard skin, bones & celery. Tear chicken apart. Set aside.
- If desired, remove some or all of the fat from water. If needed, add water and boullion cube to make 5 cups broth.
- In small saucepan, boil 1/2 cup Acini di Pepe Pasta in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients but the pasta and cheese in a dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover. Simmer for 30 minutes adding in the pasta in the last 5 minutes.
- Top each 1 cup serving with 1 Tbsp of Shredded Parmesan Cheese.