Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The original recipe calls for veal.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 lbs thinly sliced chicken
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees F.
- In a shallow dish, beat eggs and season with salt and pepper. Pour flour into another shallow dish. Mix together the bread crumbs, basil and thyme in a third shallow dish. Have ready one large plate.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, dip it first in the flour, shaking off excess. Next, place the floured chicken into the beaten eggs, coating completely. Place the chicken into the bread crumb mixture and gently press crumbs into the chicken. Set aside on large plate and continue with remaining chicken slices.
- In a large skillet with high sides, heat the oil to 375 degrees F. Have ready a baking sheet fitted with a rack. Carefully place 2 pieces of breaded chicken in the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 6 to 8 minutes total. Place cooked chicken on rack, season with salt and place in oven to keep warm. Continue with remaining chicken.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Used panko crumbs, to which I also added a little garlic powder and onion powder. Served with both lemon wedges and my homemade pesto, along with mushroom risotto and zucchini. Marvelous.
These were great, I did use less oil when frying them. Served them with mexican pesto and pasta. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This was SO good! I was trying to find something to go with turkey cutlets, and this was awesome! :) Thanks!