Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mexican-inspired casserole which is a great way to use up leftovers, with a cornbread bottom, filling of chicken, corn, mushrooms & sour cream, YUM!
- 44.37 ml olive oil (Extra Virgin preferred)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (to taste)
- 2 (850.48 g) can corn (whole kernel or creamed, either)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 6 leftover corn muffins, crumbled medium to large muffins work best (box mix, slightly sweet cornbread muffins preferred)
- 551.25 ml chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 35.43 g taco seasoning mix
- 2.46-4.92 ml chopped jalapeno pepper (if you like hot, use more if not, use less)
- 113.39 g chopped fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 354.88 ml light sour cream
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 226.79 g cheddar cheese, shredded or 226.79 g monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F & grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place olive oil in a small skillet over med-high heat. Sauté onion & garlic until tender, 4 to 6 minutes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine corn & salt and fold in cooked onion mixture. Line baking dish with the crumbled bits of cornbread muffins & Pour the corn and onion mixture onto the cornbread pieces in the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, jalapeños, taco seasoning mix, mushrooms, sour cream, salt and pepper. Spoon over corn mixture to within 1 inch from edge. Sprinkle top with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until edges are golden brown ~ serve with chopped fresh tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, sliced black or green olives, & guacamole if you like, & serve with warm tortilla chips.