Mexican-inspired casserole which is a great way to use up leftovers, with a cornbread bottom, filling of chicken, corn, mushrooms & sour cream, YUM!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (Extra Virgin preferred)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced (to taste)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans corn (whole kernel or creamed, either)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 leftover corn muffins, crumbled medium to large muffins work best (box mix, slightly sweet cornbread muffins preferred)
- 2 1/3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper (if you like hot, use more if not, use less)
- 4 ounces chopped fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups light sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded or 8 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F & grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 2Place olive oil in a small skillet over med-high heat. Sauté onion & garlic until tender, 4 to 6 minutes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine corn & salt and fold in cooked onion mixture. Line baking dish with the crumbled bits of cornbread muffins & Pour the corn and onion mixture onto the cornbread pieces in the prepared baking dish.
- 3In a large bowl, combine chicken, jalapeños, taco seasoning mix, mushrooms, sour cream, salt and pepper. Spoon over corn mixture to within 1 inch from edge. Sprinkle top with cheese.
- 4Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until edges are golden brown ~ serve with chopped fresh tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, sliced black or green olives, & guacamole if you like, & serve with warm tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Mexicali Cornbread Bake
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.3
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 101.1 mg
- Sodium 841.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 29.4 g