Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs meaty skinless chicken pieces
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked noodles
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Rinse chicken; set aside.
- In a 4 or 5 quart crockpot place mushrooms, onion, and garlic.
- Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
- In a bowl combine broth, tomato paste, wine or chicken broth, tapioca, dried basil (if using instead of fresh), sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over all in crockpot.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- If using, stir in fresh basil.
- To serve, spoon chicken, mushroom mixture, and sauce over hot cooked noodles.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
We all really enjoyed this. I made this on the stove and used boneless chicken breasts. I used all chicken broth and didn't use tapioca. I also used the dried basil. I didn't put this over noodles but we all really enjoyed this. It cooked up nicely on the stove and I will be making it again.
Oh YUM! Cold grey day here on Long Island and this sounded so promising. Gotta tell ya, it didn't disappoint. Used 4 bonless thighs cut in half and 2 boneless breasts cut into thirds( it weighed 2 1/2 lbs). Cooked it on High for 3 hours,turned it off and then let it sit for the last half hour. Sauce was excellent! I would however throw in a bit more chicken while you're at it.
You've got to be kidding me - this was AWESOME!!!! I've made a similar recipe with beef, but until I saw this - it never occured to me you could make this with chicken. (Although - I'm going to try this again with beef because I think this is a better recipe) The sauce couldn't be more pefect. I did omit the sugar, because I'm trying to limit my sugar intake - and it didn't affect the recipe at all. Incredible recipe kintryqtpi! Thank you for posting this. I will def. be making this again!