Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I enjoyed this sandwich at The Smokestack in Thurber, TX. It is a chicken version of the popular patty melt. Sort of a chicken grilled cheese. Prep time includes grilling a chicken breast.
- 1 slice onion (thick)
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 grilled chicken breast
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- Saute onion in half the butter till golden.
- Set aside.
- Heat non stick pan.
- Spread butter on both slices of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, buttered side down in pre-heated pan.
- Put one slice of cheese, onions, chicken breast, one slice of cheese and then the remaining slice of bread with the buttered side up.
- Continue to cook until bread on bottom is brown and toasty.
- Turn the entire sandwich and toast the other side and wait for cheese to get melty.
- SLice in half and enjoy.
I had leftover grilled chicken breast (cut in strips already) and happened across this recipe. I didn't have rye bread so I just used plain white. I used my Counter top George Foreman grill for these and it was amazingly delicious! Will definitely be making these in the future. Thanks for sharing
Oh my goodness, I LOVED this sandwich. I generally enjoy a sandwich anyway, but this one made me sad when it was gone (but it'll be lunch today). I used a very dark rye, and baby swiss, which I recommend. I did cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, which worked well. Yum!!
So good & easy. I grilled chicken breasts seasoned with garlic earlier in the day and then pulled the sandwich together with a salad for a quick dinner. My chicken breasts were pretty thick, so I cut them in half length-wise, which I think made them lay better on the bread, more flat. I made one sandwich with swiss and one with pepperjack for me & hubby. Both were excellent. Hubby dipped his in spicy mustard, while I ate mine plain. This has a lot of possibilities with various cheeses, etc. :) Thanks!