Recipe by Rinshinomori
Ahhh, the Mediterranean cruise! The azure sea....and if you close your eyes, you can almost taste the food. This recipe showcases some of the wonderful ingredients found throughout the Mediterranean region.
Top Review by Mama_Jennie
What a wonderful surprise this recipe was! There are so many flavors that compliment each other and it allows you to enjoy each with every bite! Thank you for posting such a wonderful crockpot recipe! Made for ZWT5, Viva Valencia Challenge.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken thighs, fat removed
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups leeks, chopped (1 leek)
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped (1 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento stuffed green olive, sliced
- 10 ounces canned diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel tomatoes)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned fire-roasted tomatoes, diced or 14 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups lager beer (drink whatever is left from the bottle or can)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 large oranges
Directions See How It's Made
- Shake chicken thighs in a plastic bag with flour, salt and pepper. Keep unused flour in the bag.
- With a medium heat, saute chopped bacon in 2 T olive oil until lightly browned in a frying pan. Remove bacon pieces and place in a crock pot. Keep oil in the pan.
- Saute chicken pieces in the same frying pan 3 minutes each side until lightly browned. Do not overcook. Remove chicken pieces and place in a crock pot.
- In the same frying pan, saute leek, green pepper, celery, and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining flour from the bag. Saute 2 more minutes. Place the mixture into the crock pot.
- Add sliced green olives, diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel tomatoes), canned fire roasted tomatoes or canned chopped tomatoes, lager beer, basil, paprika, sugar, 1 tsp salt, and Parmesan cheese.
- With a microplane grater or grater, grate 1/2 orange peel into the crock pot. Pare and section oranges and place the sectioned oranges into the crock pot.
- Cover the crock pot. Cook for 4 hours on medium heat (I'm using a slow cooker and the heat is higher). With regular crock, cook for 6 hours.
- Skim any fat floating on the surface.
- Serve over cooked white rice or simply serve with crusty well buttered country bread.