Recipe by Jackie_Food&Wine
Pizza and wine really do work well together! Stick to a Cabernet/Merlot Blend - there are plenty to choose from! This pizza has a hint to acid from roasted tomatoes and a bit of creamy cheese from fresh ricotta - not too much of either to over power the wine.
- 1 lb flavored chicken sausage (Roasted Garlic & Herb)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 lb prepared pizza dough, thin crust
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 lb fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix chicken sausage and breadcrumbs in a large bowl until well combined. Start forming into small meatballs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices and place on a cooling rack, on top of a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes until soft in the center and crisp around the edges.
- Stretch pizza dough to fit into a baking sheet, leaving a small crust on each edge. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings, salt and pepper. Bake for 7 minutes until lightly brown.
- While crust is baking, brown meatballs in a non-stick skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Top pre-baked crust with meatballs, tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 5 minutes until meatballs and crust are finished cooking.
- Remove crust from oven. Using a small ice cream scoop, add dollops of ricotta to pizza. Place back in oven and turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes in the oven to warm through the ricotta, without cooking it.
- Remove from oven, top with chives and serve!