Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe I came up with for Saturdays. We go to Mass on Saturday so we needed something that could be gotten ready, simmer for a while and then be quick to finish. It’s almost like chicken and dumplings with mashed potatoes serving as the dumplings. The name comes from my son’s favorite car, the McLaren F1. The SHP suffix comes from "Sherry and Herb Powered". I made it this past Sunday and my wife could not believe that the only salt was in the potato water!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 5 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 celery ribs, thickly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 cups chicken broth (you can use water, but triple the simmering time)
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
Mashed Potatoes Part
- 5 -6 yukon gold potatoes, cut up
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup cream (more or less to get the desired thickness)
- Sauté the chicken breasts in the olive oil in an 8-quart heavy bottom soup pot over high heat.
- When browned, remove them and set aside.
- Put the celery, carrots and onions into the pot.
- Sauté for about five minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, shred or cut the chicken.
- After the five minutes, add the garlic and stir constantly for another 30 seconds.
- Deglaze the pan with the Sherry.
- Stir until most of the alcohol has evaporated.
- Return the shredded chicken into the pan.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, add the herbs and simmer for at least two hours (as long as there is liquid, the longer the better).
- Mashed Potatoes Part:.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water.
- Once they are boiling, cut the heat back to low and let them simmer for at least an hour.
- About 10 minutes before serving, drain the potatoes and return them to the pan.
- After about 5 minutes, add the butter.
- Begin whipping the potatoes and add cream to get them to the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. They should not need seasoning, though.
- Final Assembly:.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on a plate. Use a slotted spoon or sieve (we have a disk-like thing with holes in it) to place the chicken-vegetable mixture over the potatoes. You will have a lot of broth left over that you can freeze or use for other things such as chicken soup or recipes that I will unleash later.