Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Add a little pizzazz to a classic poultry dish in this easy to make but delicious recipe.
- 16 baby onions
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 parsnips, peeled
- 3 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small fresh thyme sprig
- fresh basil leaf
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves
- 1 chicken, jointed
- 6 anchovies
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Top and tail the onions, then blanch them for 7 minutes in boiling salted water. Run them under the cold tap and remove their skins.
- Cut the carrots and parsnips into large matchstick strips.
- Heat half the butter in a large casserole, until golden brown, and then stir in the flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes, and then add the wine and stock, the onions and root vegetables, garlic, herbs, spring onion and spices. Cover and simmer for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, brown the chicken pieces in the remaining butter.
- Add to the sauce and simmer for 30 minutes or longer until the chicken is done, turning the pieces occasionally and removing the breast pieces before they overcook.
- Put the chicken on a hot serving plate with the onions and vegetable strips and keep warm.
- Skim the sauce, which should be well reduced (if not, increase the heat and cook for 5 minutes or so longer).
- Crush together 4 of the anchovy fillets with the capers and add them to the sauce. Simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Taste the sauce and add the remaining anchovy fillets if you like, crushing them first. Season to taste and serve.