From the Pomona College Magazine featuring alumni chefs. This one by Maya Kaimal is not overpoweringly spicy, but delivers lots of flavor levels and works well with other types of poultry/meats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, fresh, minced
- 2 tablespoons coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups tomatoes, fresh, chopped & drained OR
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped & drained
- 2 lbs chicken, boneless, sliced to large bite-size
- 1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1In a wok, dutch oven or deep saute pan, fry onions in oil over medium high heat until the edges are nicely browned.
- 2Add garlic & ginger & continue stirring 2 minutes.
- 3Add ground spices (including salt) & fry another 2 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes & fry over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 5Add chicken & water (or coconut milk) & stir.
- 6Bring mixture to a simmer & reduce heat to low.
- 7Cover & simmer 20 minutes, then check.
- 8If sauce is too thin, remove cover & simmer 10 minutes more.
- 9If sauce is desired thickness, continue to simmer covered for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Masala Curry
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 685.6
- Calories from Fat 437
- Total Fat 48.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 1047.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 45.1 g