Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the Pomona College Magazine featuring alumni chefs. This one by Maya Kaimal is not overpoweringly spicy, but delivers lots of flavor levels and works well with other types of poultry/meats.
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, fresh, minced
- 2 tablespoons coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups tomatoes, fresh, chopped & drained OR
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped & drained
- 2 lbs chicken, boneless, sliced to large bite-size
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- In a wok, dutch oven or deep saute pan, fry onions in oil over medium high heat until the edges are nicely browned.
- Add garlic & ginger & continue stirring 2 minutes.
- Add ground spices (including salt) & fry another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes & fry over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken & water (or coconut milk) & stir.
- Bring mixture to a simmer & reduce heat to low.
- Cover & simmer 20 minutes, then check.
- If sauce is too thin, remove cover & simmer 10 minutes more.
- If sauce is desired thickness, continue to simmer covered for 10 minutes.