1/1 Photo of Chicken Masala Curry
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Though not necessarily authentic, this curry is as good or better than anything i've ever had in a restaurant. Pieces of meat and/or vegetable are simmered in a fragrant sauce thickened with onions, garlic and ginger. Great over rice or accompanied with a piece of warm naan bread.
My Private Note
pints o ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (Ghee) or 2 tablespoons clarified butter (Ghee)
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot, about 2 inches long, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste, about one whole small can
- 6 -8 chicken breasts (fresh or frozen) or 6 -8 chicken thighs (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (optional) or 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- 2 -5 dried chilies (optional)
- 1Heat the vegetable oil in a dutch oven or other large pot.
- 2Cook the onions over medium heat until softened.
- 3Add garlic and ginger, continue to cook until fragrant and softened.
- 4Remove from heat, add Curry powder, cumin, and coriander.
- 5Pour 1/2 cup water into a blender. Add cooked vegetables and blend on high until very, very smooth. Add additional water if necessary.
- 6Pour sauce back into pot and stir in tomato paste and Chilis, if using.
- 7Cover and cook for at least 30 minutes, but no more than an hour. -Note- Sauce will bubble and gloop violently all over your range if you do not cover.
- 8Add chicken pieces, cook until tender and 160 - 170 degrees F.
- 9Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and yogurt and serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Masala Curry
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.8
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 139.2 mg
- Sodium 274.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 48.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: