Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This old recipe comes from a 1975 Kraft Foods newsletter! However, it still makes a satisfying, if somewhat "retro," dish.
- 3 lbs whole chickens (cut up broiler or fryer pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup French dressing (I use Kraft Catalina brand)
- 8 slices onions (1/4 inch thick)
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup French dressing
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Brown chicken pieces in 1/3 cup dressing over low heat.
- Add onions, tomatoes, seasonings, and 1/4 cup dressing to pan with chicken. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to serving platter. Reserve the drippings left in the pan.
- To prepare the sauce, gradually add wine to flour in a small bowl, stirring until well-blended.
- Gradually add wine-flour mixture to the hot drippings in the pan. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens. Simmer 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Serve this sauce on the side with the chicken.