Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced swiss cheese
- Season chicken strips or tenders with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Grill on a grill or in a grill pan.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute mushrooms.
- Season mushrooms with the same spices as the chicken.
- Finish mushrooms by deglazing the pan with the Marsala wine and allow to reduce until the wine has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, take a loaf of Italian bread and invert it.
- Cut a"V" wedge out of the bottom of the loaf and set aside.
- Into the hollowed out portion of the loaf, sprinkle Parmesan cheese, layer thinly sliced provalone, chicken, Swiss cheese, and mushrooms.
- Repeat the layering until it is even with the top of the bread.
- Put wedge back in loaf and roll tightly in aluminum foil-- shiny side in.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let the loaf rest a few minutes.
- Serve by slicing portions on a diagonal.
This sandwhich was very good. I think I am going to make this for Superbowl Sunday.