Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The following recipe will serve two adults with hearty appetites or four small eaters. You might finish the plate with a fresh green vegetable in season, such as asparagus spears or broccoli florets. Keep the vegetables simple by steaming them lightly and drizzling a bit of melted butter and fresh lemon juice on them. Prepared this way they will complement the Marsala sauce rather than vie for attention.
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 halves)
- 2⁄3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (for dredging)
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter
- 2 small garlic cloves, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup florio sweet marsala wine
- 1⁄8 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon whole butter
- Step One: Prepare chicken breasts.
- Remove the tenders from the breasts if they are present, the long finger-like strips. Trim all fat and sinews and remove the thin membrane covering the breasts. Butterfly the breasts starting from the plump lobe side. Press firmly with the palm of your hand to achieve uniform thickness. Do not pound with mallet.
- Step Two: Sauté chicken breasts.
- Place a 10”, heavy bottomed sauté pan on high heat and add enough of the clarified butter to coat the bottom. When fat is hot enough to make a drop of water sizzle, immediately dredge the chicken breasts in the flour plate, shake off excess and place in the pan. Add the mushrooms at this point. Shake pan frequently to avoid sticking and continue until bottoms are golden brown. Turn breasts in the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add mashed garlic and immediately deglaze the pan with chicken broth. Chicken broth should be at least 1/2 inch deep in the pan. Add the Marsala wine, dry white wine, and whole butter.
- Step Three: The finish.
- Continue cooking until chicken is done. If all is perfect the pan sauce will form at the same time the chicken and mushrooms are done. If the pan sauce has not yet come together, remove chicken and mushrooms from sauté pan and place on warm plates, turn heat to high and quickly reduce pan sauce to the proper consistency.
- To serve, place mushrooms along plate rim, 2 breasts in the center, spoon pan sauce over both and garnish with finely chopped parsley.