Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Exotic and delicious baked chicken. Original recipe from Hadassah Jewish Holiday Cookbook.
- 4 whole chickens, each cut into eighths (2-1/2 lbs each)
- 12 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup best quality olive oil
- 8 teaspoons green peppercorns, soaked in water and drained
- 2 cups whole pitted black olives
- 3 cups dried apricots
- 2 cups dried small figs
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 cups large pecan pieces
- 4 grated lemons, zest of
- The day before, combine the chicken, garlic, thyme, cumin, ginger, salt, wine vinegar, oil, peppercorns, olives, apricots, and figs in 2 large bowls, dividing the ingredients equally; marinate covered in the refrigerator overnight. Mix several times during the day. Remove the bowls from the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange chicken in single layer in 2 large, heavy shallow baking pans. Spoon marinade evenly over both pans. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and pecans and pour the wine evenly between the pieces in both pans.
- Cover the pans with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake, basting frequently with the pan juices, 50 minutes.
- Using a fork and slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, olives, dried fruit, and pecans to a large serving platter. Drizzle with a few large spoonfuls of the pan juices.