Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
Exotic and delicious baked chicken. Original recipe from Hadassah Jewish Holiday Cookbook.
Make and share this Chicken Marrakesh recipe from Food.com.
- 4 whole chickens, each cut into eighths (2-1/2 lbs each)
- 12 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup best quality olive oil
- 8 teaspoons green peppercorns, soaked in water and drained
- 2 cups whole pitted black olives
- 3 cups dried apricots
- 2 cups dried small figs
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 cups large pecan pieces
- 4 grated lemons, zest of
- The day before, combine the chicken, garlic, thyme, cumin, ginger, salt, wine vinegar, oil, peppercorns, olives, apricots, and figs in 2 large bowls, dividing the ingredients equally; marinate covered in the refrigerator overnight. Mix several times during the day. Remove the bowls from the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange chicken in single layer in 2 large, heavy shallow baking pans. Spoon marinade evenly over both pans. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and pecans and pour the wine evenly between the pieces in both pans.
- Cover the pans with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake, basting frequently with the pan juices, 50 minutes.
- Using a fork and slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, olives, dried fruit, and pecans to a large serving platter. Drizzle with a few large spoonfuls of the pan juices.