Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Bon Appétit July 2000 by Bobby Flay (which is weird, b/c I don't usually like his recipes) Note marination time.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup ground pasilla chile powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 roasting chickens, halved, backbone removed
- Whisk oil, orange and lime juices, ground and canned chilies and garlic in 15x10x2-inch baking dish to blend.
- Mix in onion. Add chicken halves and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Remove chicken halves from marinade. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill until chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- *Ground pasilla and ancho chilies are found in the spice section of some supermarkets. If.
This review is for the marinade. It takes a little extra effort to make this marinade from scratch, but it's absolutely worth the effort. We use it on boneless skinless chicken breasts or pork loin chops. Pop them on the grill or under the broiler and they're just delicious.