1/2 Photos of Chicken Marinara
1 hr 15 mins
Doxie lover in the Rock 2's Note:
I am posting this because an Italian patient of mine didn't have any family recipes passed on to him (due to adoption). Now I can just print it out if need ever arises again! lol This is the recipe my Sicilian mother and grandmother taught me. It is simple, delicious and one of my favorite comfort foods. It is much quicker than marinara with beef or pork (i.e. sausage or meatballs)--ENJOY! And please don't tell my grandmother I posted this family recipe online.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces water
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 16 ounces pasta (spaghetti, angel hair, penne, etc)
- 1Sauté garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil until lightly brown and set aside. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 2Cook chicken, mushrooms and onion in same skillet with remaining olive oil until chicken is white throughout, seasoning with salt and pepper as preferred.
- 3Add tomato paste, cooked garlic and mix well.
- 4Add crushed tomatoes, basil, and water and mix well. Bring to boil, then lower to a simmer and covering sauce with a lid for an hour. Stir occasionally and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- 5Midway, add wine and stir well and resume covered simmering.
- 6During last fifteen minutes or so, cook pasta according to directions on package.
- 7In large bowl, pour sauce over cooked pasta and mix well.
- 8Sprinkle cheese on top and serve!
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Marinara
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.1
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 43.8 mg
- Sodium 685.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 30.0 g