Recipe by dicentra
365 Ways to Cook Chicken They say this dish was a favorite of Napoleon’s. Serve with steamed white rice.
- 1 chicken, cut up
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and brown lightly on both sides, about 8 minutes.
- Remove and set aside. Remove all but 3 tablespoons fat from the pan. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan. Sprinkle with parsley, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Add tomatoes and wine, partly cover and simmer 45 minutes, until chicken is tender. Remove bay leaf and serve.