Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A classic chicken dish. Easy to please with.
- 3 lbs chicken
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained and diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut the chicken legs to separate the thighs and drumsticks. Rince the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Remove as much fat as possible. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven. Use tongs to add the chicken pieces in a single layer; do not crowd. Cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked pieces to a platter and set aside. Repeat until all the chicken is browned.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic to the Dutch oven and saute until the mushrooms give up their juice, about 8 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the Dutch oven. Add the tomatoes, broth, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve hot.
Very good and very authentic I like to add green olives cut in half for extra flavor I added this dish to my cook book