1/1 Photo of Chicken Marbella - Silver Palate Cookbook
This is from the Silver Palate Cookbook, and I love their food. I have seen this recipe for years and finally decided to try it and I am so glad I did! Prunes, capers and olives just didn't sound good, but I was SO wrong! I usually use legs and thighs, marinate them for about 6 hours in a plastic zip-top bag, and turn them every couple of hours. Only change I made was using 2 heads of roasted garlic instead of the 1 head of raw garlic. (that's HEAD, not clove.) I always use skin on, they brown and caramelize to a rich deep color. I urge you to try this...be brave and do it, you will be pleasantly suprised! : ) This makes a large amount, you can easily halve this recipe. Prep time does not include marinating time. Hope you enjoy! Correction...For the large quantity...it IS 4 2 1/2 lbs.chicken, sorry for ommision of the 4 in the original post. But Zaar won't let me put 4 chickens in the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 lbs chicken
- 1 head garlic, peeled and finely pureed
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup pitted spanish green olives
- 1/2 cup capers with a bit juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley (cilantro) or 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped (cilantro)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice, and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight.
- 3Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.
- 4Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices.
- 5Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest, yield clear yellow (rather than pink) juice.
- 6With a slotted spoon transfer chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a serving platter.
- 7Moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley.
- 8Pass remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.
- 9To serve Chicken Marbella cold, cool to room temperature in cooking juices before transferring to a serving platter. If chicken has been covered and refrigerated, allow it to return to room temperature before serving. Spoon some of the reserved juices over chicken.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Marbella - Silver Palate Cookbook
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1196.2
- Calories from Fat 721
- Total Fat 80.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 340.1 mg
- Sodium 432.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 84.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: