Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This incredibly tasty chicken recipe is easy to make, always a hit, and ideal for holidays where you need to make some dishes in advance. ALL of my kids love this ("it's awesome, Mom!"), which is a true rarity in these parts. From The Kosher Palette Cookbook--don't miss this one! The recipe calls for one chicken, but I have made it with three or four chickens and only doubled the other ingredients. It's a very flexible recipe.
- 1 cup pitted prune
- 1⁄2 cup olive
- 1⁄2 cup capers, with 3 tbl of the liquid
- 1⁄4 cup fresh oregano, chopped (or 2 tbl dried)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (or less to taste)
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 -2 chicken, cut in 1/8s
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine prunes, olives, capers, caper liquid, oregano, vinegar, olive oil, and garlic in large, ovenproof dish.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken, tossing to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover chicken, and sprinkle with brown sugar, then pour wine over the chicken.
- Cover and bake 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake another 30 minutes or more, until golden brown.