NOTE: I found the original recipe uncredited on a random website several years ago, and AFTER posting this, found out that it is from the "Silver Palate Cookbook." This version is not the original; it's been altered according to my preferences. (If you have not seen this classic cookbook, check it out, but please don't make the rabbit recipes.) This is a yummy, impressive recipe with strong flavors -- lots of fruit, garlic, wine, and spices combine to make a luscious dark sauce! I have substituted raisins in place of the prunes, but prefer the original way. This dish has been a big hit with dinner guests, even those who are hesitant to eat prunes because of their "reputation". :) (The prep time is high because I like to marinade mine overnight -- actual chopping can be done in under 20 minutes.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Seperate the garlic into cloves, then peel and coarsely chop.
- 2Place garlic into the food processor (do not process yet!).
- 3Coarsely chop the prunes.
- 4Add half of them to the food processor, and set the remaining chopped prunes aside.
- 5Add vinegar and 1 cup of the wine to the food processor.
- 6Whirl everything around until the mixture is almost (but not quite) a puree.
- 7Add remaining prunes, remaining wine, oregano, capers, and half of the brown sugar to the mixture.
- 8Pulse food processor for a few seconds, just enough to thoroughly mix the ingredients.
- 9Poke holes in chicken.
- 10Place chicken and bay leaves in a plastic bag, and pour wine mixture over chicken.
- 11Marinate 12-48 hours.
- 12When it's time to make dinner: Preheat oven to 350.
- 13Spray non-stick spray on a shallow baking pan.
- 14Arrange chicken onto pan.
- 15Remove bay leaves from marinade mixture& discard them.
- 16Pour marinade over chicken.
- 17Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over the chicken.
- 18Bake, uncovered, at 350* for 45-60 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- 19Serve over noodles or rice, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Marbella Derivative
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.8
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 436.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 46.7 g
- Protein 28.9 g