1/2 Photos of Chicken Marbella
1 hr 15 mins
The famous Chicken Marbella from the Silver Palate Cookbook. This recipe has been bringing down the house for years and I have made serious adaptations to it, fine-tuning it to suit our taste and make it a little more practical. I like to serve this with cous-cous and a big green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken thigh pieces, skinless and boneless, cut each piece into 4
- 1/2 head garlic, peeled and finely pureed (this works out to about 6-8 cloves)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 12 pitted prunes (I cut them in half)
- 6 dried apricots, cut in half (optional)
- 1/2 cup pitted spanish green olives
- 1/3 cup capers, with a bit of juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I prefer to use less - 1/4 cup is fine)
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (not in original recipe) (optional)
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley (cilantro) or 1/3 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped (cilantro)
- 1In a large bowl combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, apricots (if using), olives, capers and juice, bay leaves, brown sugar and white wine.
- 2Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 4Arrange chicken in a single layer in a large, shallow baking pan and spoon marinade over it evenly.
- 5Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest, yield clear yellow (rather than pink) juice.
- 6With a slotted spoon transfer chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley or cilantro. Pass remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.
- 7Note: To serve Chicken Marbella cold, cool to room temperature in cooking juices before transferring to a serving platter. If chicken has been covered and refrigerated, allow it to return to room temperature before serving. Spoon some of the reserved juices over chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Marbella
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.4
- Calories from Fat 399
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 152.5 mg
- Sodium 632.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: