Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a dish for a large crowd.
- 16 chicken breasts
- 1 head garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup dried prune
- 1⁄2 cup spanish green olives
- 1⁄3 cup capers, with a bit of juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Mix everything together except for brown sugar and white wine.
- Put chicken in with it and marinate overnight.
- Then place in a 9x13 inch baking dish and pour white wine all over top, and then sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour making sure that you baste often.
- Use extra sauce in baking dish as gravy.
I've made this since Silver Palate was published and it's still a favorite with my family. Don't worry, no one will ever know there's prunes in it unless you tell them!~
I LOVE this recipe and the Silver Palate! It is v. easy and so great to make ahead. We like you use bone-in chx breasts or thighs to ensure juicy meat. The combo might sound weird, but the caramelized prunes, olives, and chicken are simply scrumptious. Thanks so much for posting!