Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Cook It Light. Omit the salt if using salted chicken stock. This was a bit time consuming but worth it for a yummy healthy manicotti dish that even my kids liked.
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped fairly finely
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 12 manicotti, cooked
- Melt 3 T margarine in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until it starts to sizzle.
- Add the flour and stir one minute (no browning).
- Slowly whisk in 2 cups of chicken stock and the milk until it comes to a boil.
- Cook and stir one minute more.
- Remove all but 2 cups of the sauce and set aside.
- To the remaining 2 cups of sauce add the cheese and stir over low heat until it melts; set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the onion and celery in the remaining 1/4 cup chicken stock until it is soft, about 15 minutes.
- Combine the vegetables and chicken with the cheeseless sauce.
- Carefully fill each manicotti shell with 1/3 cup filling and place in a 9x13-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the manicotti and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes til hot and bubbly.