Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
That name is a mouthful, I know! But a tasty mouthful. If you've never tried jicama, here is your chance! This a bit time consuming but you can easily make the dressing ahead of time. You can also do the tortilla strips ahead and store in a airtight container, or omit them altogether and use store-bought tortilla chips.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon tequila
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
corn tortilla strips
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced
- 1 (6 ounce) bag mixed salad greens
- For vinaigrette:.
- Combine all ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined. Chill until ready to use.
- For Tortilla strips:.
- Place strips in large bowl and spray with cooking spray, tossing to coat.
- Combine seasonings and sprinkle over strips, tossing to coat.
- Fry in oil until lightly browned or spread over cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 8 minutes. They will get crispy as they cool.
- For Chicken:.
- Combine marinade ingredients in large zip-loc bag.
- Add chicken and marinate at least 2 hrs, turning bag occasionally.
- Preheat grill.
- Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Cut meat into 1/2" slices.
- For Salad:.
- Combine jicama, mango and greens in large bowl.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat.
- Divide into servings and top with chicken and tortilla strips.
- Whew! Sit down and enjoy it all with a frozen margarita that someone else fixed!
I loved this salad - very exotic, like something you'd get in a fancy restaurant. I used a bag of fancy lettuces - you know the ones with the odd shapes and colors! :-) I did add some cumin to the vinaigrette, and used ancho chile powder for the red chile powder. And since I had leftover chicken from Tequila Grilled Chicken - Tequila Grilled Chicken - I used that. Thanks! (PS I forgot to star this initially - don't know if this review will post twice.)
Great salad but will use less honey next time (I used 2 T.) Loved the fried tortillas and served with guacamole.
OK People.. This thing is delicious!
I made it with reservations because my family is not big on the "Salad is all we are having for dinner" and everyone likes something different, so usually salad is relegated to a side dish, I mention this for those who think you must make something else to go with it. YOU DONT.
It is a lovely cooling dish for a hot day, I found that the dressing did not wilt the greens as quickly as other dressings. its sweet and savory with the seasoned tortilla strips. I used grilled drummettes instead of breast and it was a total hit. HIGHLY RECCOMEND.
Added asian cucumbers and chickpeas since those flavors do really well with tart dressings, it was absolutely satisfying.
THANL YOU LITTLE_WING !!