Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another fabulous recipe emailed to me from gourmet_recipes_from_around_the_world. I plan to serve with steamed rice or daal, a nice trio of chutneys and palek paneer.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 inches gingerroot
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons oil, divided
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick, 4-inch long, broken in half
- 6 cardamom pods
- 10 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut 2-inch pieces
- 7 ounces coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 4 -5 small dried red chilies
- 15 -20 curry leaves, fresh
- Combine the garlic and ginger with about 1 tablespoon of water in a small food processor and process to a paste. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger paste, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric and salt. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and stir to mix with the spices. Cook 15 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally, then cover and cook 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk and water. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the mustard seeds (be careful, they'll pop out of the skillet), chiles and curry leaves. The oil should be hot enough so the curry leaves crackle and turn black right away; the chiles should also turn black. Cook no more than 3 minutes. Pour this mixture into the chicken.
- Simmer 5 minutes longer and serve.