Recipe by Cait's Mom
We had a delicious chicken dish at a local restaurant and we searched for recipes to taste like it. This seemed to do it. You can also substitute grilled filet mignon for "Filet Mignon Mama Mia" for a tasty and different grilled steak topping.
Top Review by CASunshine
Very good! I pounded some boneless chicken breasts and sauteed them in the pan in butter before making the sauce. I kept the breasts warm in the oven while I completed the sauce then poured it over the chicken. Delicious sauce - I imagine it would be wonderful over my favorite steak! Served it with Luby's Green Bean's & Almonds #58261. Fabulous meal!
- 4 grilled chicken breasts (grill with a simple seasoning salt mixture so as not to compete with Mama Mia sauce) or 4 filet mignon (grill with a simple seasoning salt mixture so as not to compete with Mama Mia sauce)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced and washed mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch fresh ginger (or t. dry)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3 -5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (more or less to taste)
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons very very cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add mustard, ginger, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sherry and only 2 T. balsamic vinegar along with the cream.
- Taste and add more balsamic vinegar if needed.
- Dissolve cornstarch into cold water and mix until smooth. Add to mushrooms and stir constantly until liquid comes to a boil. Continue cooking for one minute still stirring. This should now be a thickened sauce.
- Remove from heat and taste again. Add a last bit of balsamic if desired.
- Serve over grilled chicken, filet mignon, etc.