Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy, healthy and flavorful one-pot meal. Exotic flavor with somewhat common ingredients.
- 473.18 ml cooked white rice
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil or 14.79 ml canola oil
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken thighs or 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 finely chopped med-large onion
- 4.92 ml finely grated gingerroot
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 9.85 ml garam masala
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground red pepper
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 453.59 g nonfat sour cream (not sweetened) or 340.19 g can fat-free evaporated milk (not sweetened)
- 29.58 ml butter or 9.85 ml Butter Buds
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper
- Start cooking rice.
- Cook chicken in oil in a large pot over med-high heat until just starting to brown.
- Add onion and some salt, stir until the onion is soft.
- Add ginger and garlic; stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle on garam masala, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in prepared rice. Taste for more salt and black pepper.
- Plate and garnish with chopped scallions/green onions and/or cilantro (if desired).
This was amazing! I added a little more garam masala, another garlic clove (both crushed)and a few thai chiles while it simmered, we subscribe to "If you're not sweating, you're not eating." I replaced the rice with cous cous and left it separate. Wrapped it all up in rotis. It was so good my hubby is already asking me to make it again and it has only been 2 days! ADDITIONAL NOTE: I combined all the dry spices in a plastic container and made enough for 6 batches of chicken. Now when I want it I just need to scoop it out!
Very yummy - used Creme Fraiche in place of sour cream... the only thing is my guests found it too spicey... i'll adjust the seasonings next time.
Excellent recipe! I added more garam masala, left out cumin, added potatoes, used evaporated milk, didn't have butter so left it out, added 3 bay leaves. Very easy to make and packs a ton of flavor! The sauce was nice and thick which goes very well with roti. Thanks!