1/1 Photo of Chicken Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken)
Chef 4TeenSon's Note:
Easy, healthy and flavorful one-pot meal. Exotic flavor with somewhat common ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 finely chopped med-large onion
- 1 teaspoon finely grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 16 ounces nonfat sour cream (not sweetened) or 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk (not sweetened)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 teaspoons Butter Buds
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper
- 1Start cooking rice.
- 2Cook chicken in oil in a large pot over med-high heat until just starting to brown.
- 3Add onion and some salt, stir until the onion is soft.
- 4Add ginger and garlic; stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle on garam masala, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper, stirring for 2 minutes.
- 5Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- 7Remove bay leaf and stir in prepared rice. Taste for more salt and black pepper.
- 8Plate and garnish with chopped scallions/green onions and/or cilantro (if desired).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.8
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 119.9 mg
- Sodium 804.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 31.9 g