Easy, healthy and flavorful one-pot meal. Exotic flavor with somewhat common ingredients.
Make and share this Chicken Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 finely chopped med-large onion
- 1 teaspoon finely grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 16 ounces nonfat sour cream (not sweetened) or 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk (not sweetened)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 teaspoons Butter Buds
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper
- Start cooking rice.
- Cook chicken in oil in a large pot over med-high heat until just starting to brown.
- Add onion and some salt, stir until the onion is soft.
- Add ginger and garlic; stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle on garam masala, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in prepared rice. Taste for more salt and black pepper.
- Plate and garnish with chopped scallions/green onions and/or cilantro (if desired).