Recipe by grapefruit
This is a really labour intensive recipe but really worth all the effort you make. great for dinner parties. cooking time doesnt include marinating time.
Top Review by norby678
I'd give it 5 stars if I hadn't had to guess on a few things. Otherwise, it is great! My sweetie can't stop raving about it. Certainly will make this again, maybe for my next dinner party. I served it with basmati rice and naan (aka. paan, Indian flat bread).
I adjusted the "heat" by using less red chili powder (cayenne). I also had to substitute a few things due to allergies, what I could find, and budget. Yeah, I get annoyed too when people post rave reviews on recipes they butchered. But I did my best to stay as close to the original as possible. Hopefully my rating will inspire someone else to give this recipe a try.
Here is what I did: My wife is allergic to chicken, so I used 2 turkey breast tenders, cut into 8 strips. In the marinade I used 1 small container of Greek plain yogurt (what I could afford). I refrigerated the whole thing overnight. Then I baked the turkey on a broiler pan @ 350 F degrees for 18 min, then brushed w/ butter & baked another 4 min.
I cooked the sauce at just above medium heat, then simmered on low. In the sauce I used 2 teaspoon red chili powder (cayenne) rather than 1 Tablespoon. I assumed the garlic, ginger, and chilies were supposed to be fresh. I minced them before adding to the butter and garam masala. I couldn't find the powdered fenugreek leaves, so I bought dried and powdered them myself w/ a mortar and pestle.
- 400 g whole chickens, cut in portions (bone on, tikka cut)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons mustard oil (optional) or 2 teaspoons any oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 400 g tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons honey (or less, depending on taste)
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dried and powdered fenugreek leaves)
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili
- 50 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Make incisions in chicken.
- Apply the first 3 ingredients to chicken and leave ½ hour.
- apply marinade to chicken.
- Leave, covered, in fridge - at least 5 hours. Overnight is best.
- Bake on skewers in oven 10 - 12 minutes.
- Brush with butter, bake another 2-5 minutes.
- makhani Sauce:.
- Heat butter in pan.
- Add whole garam masala. When it crackles, add garlic, ginger and chillies. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add puree, chilli powder, garam masala, salt.
- add 1 cup water and boil.
- Simmer 10 mins, covered, then a few mins uncovered.
- Add honey and fenugreek + baked chicken.
- Cook 5 minutes Simmer 5 minutes Add cream and serve.
- Note: cream is always added just before serving.