- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, and split in half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb thinly sliced mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle both sides of the breasts with salt and pepper. Lightly coat the bottom of a 8 x 8-inch baking dish with vegetable or canola oil. Place the breasts in the dish in one layer.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, place 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon, and distribute evenly over the chicken. Add the remaining oil to the skillet; saute the onion and garlic until transparent, about 4 minutes, and place over mushrooms.
- Combine the wine and sour cream; pour over the chicken.
- Discard the oil and wipe the skillet clean with paper towel. Melt the butter in the skillet; add the crumbs and toss to coat. Sprinkle the crumbs over the chicken breasts. Cover the dish with foil, and bake for exactly 1 hour. Serve immediately.