Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe from Great Good Food Lucious Lower-Fat Cooking by Julie Russo.
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, and split in half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb thinly sliced mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle both sides of the breasts with salt and pepper. Lightly coat the bottom of a 8 x 8-inch baking dish with vegetable or canola oil. Place the breasts in the dish in one layer.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, place 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon, and distribute evenly over the chicken. Add the remaining oil to the skillet; saute the onion and garlic until transparent, about 4 minutes, and place over mushrooms.
- Combine the wine and sour cream; pour over the chicken.
- Discard the oil and wipe the skillet clean with paper towel. Melt the butter in the skillet; add the crumbs and toss to coat. Sprinkle the crumbs over the chicken breasts. Cover the dish with foil, and bake for exactly 1 hour. Serve immediately.
We found this to be rather bland.
A keeper for sure but I will try white wine as I prefer that to red but hubby liked the red.
This is so tasty. And the smell was so good :) The chicken breasts I got were small so after 50 minutes, it was ready and I forgot to split them in half. I used dry white wine instead of madeira wine. I was about to put sour cream, but unfortunately, it was frozen and it was in the fridge. So I omitted it and I think it was better. Thanks Cookiedog :) Made for Beverage tag.