Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A new version of a comfort food macaroni and cheese, creamy gooey with a great satisfying taste
Make and share this Chicken Macaroni Southwestern Style recipe from Food.com.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pre-cooked cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheese, I used a three cheese mixture
- 1 (12 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces roughly chopped roasted red peppers or 1 whole red pepper, roasted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half, I used fat free
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Bechamel Sauce:.
- In a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, melt the butter Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the flour to make a roux, cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Pour 1 cup of milk into the roux, whisking constantly as the sauce thickens. Add the rest of the milk, in 1/2 cup portions, add the hot sauce and salt whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer the sauce over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring the bottom of the pot with a spatula to prevent burning.
- Cook macaroni, drain and set aside.
- In a 13X9" baking pan, spray with nonstick spray. pour small amount of bechamel in the bottom of the pan with a little of the cheese. Sprinkle the chicken with the onion powder, and chipotle sauce, place half of the chicken in the pan then top with half of the peppers. Now add half of the macaroni, salt and pepper to taste, pour half of the bechamel sauce over the macaroni and half of the cheese. Repeat ending with the cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes. Makes 6 large servings.
The casserole stayed together perfectly, so the extra time layering is worth the effort. I made several changes, one using ground chicken breast (it was already thawed) and the other is how I incorporated the spices. I boiled the pasta in salt water, salt and peppered the chicken while browning, and put all other spices in the bemachel sauce. The recipe was a nice change, but I think it's missing something, just not sure what. I will be making this again - nice comfort food.