1/2 Photos of Chicken Macaroni Southwestern Style
A new version of a comfort food macaroni and cheese, creamy gooey with a great satisfying taste
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pre-cooked cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheese, I used a three cheese mixture
- 1 (12 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces roughly chopped roasted red peppers or 1 whole red pepper, roasted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1Bechamel Sauce:.
- 2In a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, melt the butter Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the flour to make a roux, cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- 3Pour 1 cup of milk into the roux, whisking constantly as the sauce thickens. Add the rest of the milk, in 1/2 cup portions, add the hot sauce and salt whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer the sauce over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring the bottom of the pot with a spatula to prevent burning.
- 4Cook macaroni, drain and set aside.
- 5In a 13X9" baking pan, spray with nonstick spray. pour small amount of bechamel in the bottom of the pan with a little of the cheese. Sprinkle the chicken with the onion powder, and chipotle sauce, place half of the chicken in the pan then top with half of the peppers. Now add half of the macaroni, salt and pepper to taste, pour half of the bechamel sauce over the macaroni and half of the cheese. Repeat ending with the cheese.
- 6Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes. Makes 6 large servings.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Macaroni Southwestern Style
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.2
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 114.3 mg
- Sodium 1054.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 28.2 g