- 1 (356 g) can chicken breasts, in broth
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 3⁄4 cup fresh tomato, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, cubed (we like sharp)
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, sliced into half rounds
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or course ground black pepper)
- lettuce, enough to line a platter
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the chicken and reserve the broth.
- Add the chicken broth to the saucepan you will cook the macaroni in; add enough water to just cover the macaroni; cook macaroni al dente, drain and run under cold water; cool completely.
- Break up the chicken and add to a large bowl, add the cooled macaroni, tomato, cheese cubes, celery, cucumber and green onion; mix well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard and pepper; pour over the chicken/macaroni mix and stir lightly until well coated.
- Line platter with crisp lettuce leaves and fill with salad. Refrigerate for at least one hour.